Friday, February 15, 2008

A Young Careerist Goes Red

I would like to start by saying "Thank You" you to Caisil Weldon for nominating me as a Business and Professional Women Young Careerist candidate. I would also like to acknowledge Caisil myself for the amazing work she has been conducting in regards to women's health, in particular heart disease.

Caisil is the woman behind the Vermont Chapter of the American Heart Association's 2nd Annual Go Red For Women Luncheon - a fundraising event featuring a silent auction, educational activities, and survivor stories to raise awareness and funds for heart disease - a disease that leads the charts on America's top killer list - and one that can be very much prevented if one takes precautions and understands and acts upon warning signs.

The luncheon is this coming Thursday, February 21st at the Sheraton in Burlington and will be attended by almost 400 women, all who are asked to dress in red to help bring color and attention to this deadly disease. I will most certainly be attending and deeply applaud Caisil and all who worked with her to organize such an important event. For those who don't make it this year, make a note for next year's and get on the list!!

This past week Caisil (during her bustle of getting ready for this signature event) nominated yours truly to be a candidate for the Burlington Chapter of the Business and Professional Women's Young Careerist program. I submitted my application and attended the organization's monthly meeting at the Sirloin Saloon where I gave a speech on the attributes of the organization which is the leading women's issues advocate to both the state and national legislature (it is a national organization). I was most honored to be named Burlington's 2008 Young Careerist and greatly look forward to attending the Vermont Conference in June where I will again speak for the title of 2008 Vermont Young Careerist. I look forward to my continued participation in this program and helping share the story of the organization with other Vermont business and professional women!

No comments: