Friday, September 28, 2007

The By-Liner

My latest PR insider tip for those who slyly read my blogs for good ideas yet don't post comments (please - that's all I ask!) - I have a super secret public relations industry tip. Why I give these out, I don't know. I guess it's to position myself as a resource and show I am an honest and trustworthy PR professional in Vermont.

A by-lined article is what my secret of the week is. It is an article written by you or someone of vast knowledge in your organization on a topic of interest to the public you are trying to reach. It IS NOT an article written by you on what you want the public to know about your company. For example, if you are a health related organization and you would like consumers to know more about you and your services, then you would write an article for the local papers in those communities on some useful tips or advice that the paper editors (yes, you should contact them first) would like their readers to know more about. You only mention you and your organization at the end as a little info piece on the author. This helps to position both you and your company as a trusted resource on certain health topics and therefore helps build your credibility instead of the newspaper thinking you are just a shameless self promoter and never printing what you send them anyway.

Does this make sense? Please comment if you have thoughts and you can always get in touch with me directly via my website to discuss such ideas further and how I can be of assistance to you and your organization.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave

my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice

blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.



Sarah

http://www.thetreadmillguide.com